Monday, August 16, 2010

from a little inspirational email:

There is a Buddhist Concept - "I do not take more than I need", that gives me great peace. It is a simple way of being. Just contemplating it seems to make one feel lighter, and more free.

today (and yesterday, and this week) my own consumerism has been coming more and more to light. once upon a time i toyed with the idea of getting "leave nothing but footprints" tattooed on my feet. how beautiful would it be if a person could reduce their own consumption to the point of sustainability? this year during Earth Week i watched "no impact man", a film about a man and his family who reduce their impact on the earth dramatically. his transition was anything but peaceful, and being a documentary there was a lot of focus on the drama between him and his wife. still, it made a lovely point.

i have been a consumer this summer. while i have been careful, i have also lost the peace that comes with underindulging myself. a person who has just what they need is so beautiful. there is tension between being in want and having too much. to find the place between those two and rest there...that is lovely.

my nature wants to start making lists here. what can i give up? how can i consume less? that too robs me of peace. to make a peaceful step toward wanting less, needing less, and consuming less will be in itself a challenge. goals and routines aside, i am hoping that this transition time will help me move in that direction.

i will see many of you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment